Monday, August 4, 2014

Weirdness

Today boys and girls we have a story about how weird paint and paint colors are.
I got this coffee table with the baskets on Craigs List for $35.
A very similar table sells at Ikea new for $119 (though I know you can get it on sale for probably  half that) But I figured $35 was a pretty good deal- since just the baskets can be pricey.
 
Ok, so now we get to the stupid part.
I planned to paint it because it did have a lot of scratches, but I wanted to use it in my family room until I sell it- storage is storage after all. I thought about white
or black

But if you can remember my family room, it seemed like both these options would just stick out like a sore thumb in the middle of the room.
Then I saw this:
 
 
See the wood trim around the woven areas?
See how it sets off the honey color?
See the green walls like my family room?
 

 After countless trips for paint chips I chose Behrs  "Art District".  It seemed perfect,  a greyish beige that wants to show a bit of a khaki green cast at times.
I figured I would give it a cream wash over it to lighten it.
What, you protest ?- that is not the right color?
You are so right, dear Sensei.




 


Now, in my defense- here are the REAL unaltered paint strokes.
The small bit in the middle in the plain paint- the larger is with the white over it.
The 3rd CRAZY purple / mauve beige nonsense is scraped right off said table.- there was a clump of primer too thick on the bottom- so I scraped it off. What the HECK happened to the color??

EDIT:
So here it is installed in my family room.
Weird as ever.

 
This picture shows all the purple undertones.

The flash makes it look more pure grey. The thing on the floor is the dogs' blanket, not exactly a design detail.

This picture illustrates the point that the paint color is not the only thing weird in my house :)

This picture illustrates that maybe it is best just to turn off ALL the lights and call it a day.



 

1 comment: